Thursday, September 29, 2016
Real Talks on Apple Podcasts Spotify Real Talks on Soundcloud Real Talks on Stitcher
96% of the 146 students better understood the importance of managing their mental health.
In summary, the reaction of students to the Real Talks session held by Alan O’Mara Coláiste Cois Life, Lucan was extremely positive and the main learning outcomes were achieved. Students better understood how to manage their own mental health, look out for others, and confirmed they would be more willing to have meaningful conversations about wellbeing after hearing from Real Talks.
96% of the 146 students surveyed admitted they better understood the importance of managing their own individual mental health, while 93% felt they were more aware of the little things they could do to build their own resilience.
Each student was asked to answer the following statements after the successful completion of the two ‘Real Talks’ session, which lasted 60 minutes each. Every question had five options; Strongly Agree, Agree, Neutral, Disagree, Strongly Disagree. The percentages below are the combined number who selected Strongly Agree or Agree.
- During the Real Talks session, an environment was created that allowed a meaningful conversation to take place = 93%
- I would be more willing to open up and have a meaningful conversation with others = 92%
- I have a better understanding of the importance of managing my own mental health and wellbeing = 96%
- I am more aware of the little things I can do to develop my own resilience = 93%
- I have a better understanding of how to be a better listener = 88%
- The real talk session helped to reduce any stigma that I had towards mental health = 86%
- I am more aware of the professional support services and resources that people can use in times of difficulty = 85%
- When a person is talking to me, I feel better equipped to connect and communicate with them more effectively = 90%
- After today’s real talk, I believe that having meaningful conversations can help me live a happier, healthier and more successful life = 97%
What they said
Each student was asked, ‘If you could share one key lesson with someone from today’s real talk, what would it be?’. Here are some of the answers we received.
“The importance of talking and listening. It is not difficult to take time out to talk to people about what is going on with them.”
“Listen carefully to people when helping instead of worrying about what my response will be.”
“That to listen effectively is more important than having the answer.”
“That I should embrace my vulnerability and trust myself.”
“It is important to talk to others and not be afraid to discover yourself.”
“To have more meaningful conversations and to talk more with friends and family about how I am feeling.”
“I need to learn to be more open with people I trust.”
“Speak with others about what is going on instead of trying to shut things out.”
“That it is very important to accept yourself and your own vulnerabilities.”
We would like to take this opportunity to congratulate Coláiste Cois Life on the incredible work they are doing within the school to place student wellbeing as an absolute core value. Keep up the great work all and best wishes for the future.